We are very lucky to be centrally located in the pretty village of Grundisburgh. The village is situated 7 miles from Ipswich and 2.5 miles from Woodbridge and is reletively large having aproximately 1600 residents. There are a lot of clubs and societies active in the village. The Grundisburgh Burgh and Horticultural Society organises an annual Open Garden Event held in June and the very popular village show held on the playing fields in July. These events attract visitors from miles around. For more information and dates please visit their website www.grundisburgh.show/home
It is worth taking a stroll around the village so below is some information on places which may be of interest.
The Dog Inn - Us!
We are unsure as to the exact age of the pub however we think that parts of the building are 350-400 years old. The 1904 Woodbridge licensing records show that the Dog's license was issued in 1842. Whether this was when it was first licensed or when it got a full (ie not just beer) license isn't clear, though the latter seems more probable. A report in the Bury & Norwich Post on 26th December,1838 states that the pub was sold to John Wood for £910 as part of the Samuel Alexander's Brewery sale. Under US Jim Crow laws, during WWII, the Dog was designated as being for the use of white GIs, with their black compatriots using The Fountain in the nearby village of Tuddenham. This information has been taken from the CAMRA webpage where more information can be found: www.suffolk.camra.org.uk/pub/352
St Mary the Virgin is grade one listed and was built more than 700 years ago in the gothic style and has seen many changes over the years. The oldest feature is the 13th century piscina. Other notable features include the double hammerbeam roof with its fifty angels and the 15th century painting of St Christopher. The red brick tower was built in the 18th century and houses a ring of twelve bells, one of only two in Suffolk. The churchyard is managed with wildlife in mind and well worth walking around especially in spring and summer. The church is open every day and all visitors are very welcome to enjoy the peace for a quiet prayer. This information has been gathered from the website: www.carlfordchurches.org/grundisburgh/. Please visit this page from more information about the church and times of service etc.
The memorial which stands on the Green directly in front of the church is in the form of a Cenotaph made from Portland stone, a wreath is carved into the face of the memorial. There are thirty one names for World War 1 and eleven for World War 2. The memorial was initially unveiled on 22nd August 1920 by Lieutenant-Colonel H C Copeman, the architect was Mr E T Johns, the builder Mr John Noller. A report appeared in the East Anglian Daily Times 23rd August 1920. Information about the soliders honoured on the memorial can be found on the following webpage: www.roll-of-honour.com/Suffolk/Grundisburgh.html
The green is at the heart of the village and is surrounded by attractive houses, Williams Store, The Old School Houses and the church. The river Lark (which is more of a stream at this point) passes through the green, there are two fords and a weeping willow. There are three benches perfect for sitting on and watching the world pass by.
This lovely old store is a bit of an aladins cave! Even if you are not looking to buy anything it is worth taking a little look anyway. They have recently opened a little tea room which serves a selection of drinks and home made cakes. The stores opening hours can be found on the following webpage: www.all-opening-hours.co.uk/03861483/Williams_Stores.
The Old School Houses
If you are standing on the green facing the church The Old School Houses sit to the left of the Church. These buildings have now been converted to provide afordable housing.
The Parish Rooms
The Parish rooms are situated over the road from the pub (opposite The Olde Forge Stores) and provide faclities for the young, elderly and a place host village activities.
If you turn right out of the pub and walk along the road after about 20m you will see a large, beautiful grade II listed Tudor house set back from the road on the left. The house was built around 1520 by Thomas Awall. The father of Thomas's wife, Alice, was the master cook for Edward IV and Henry VII. More information about the house can be found on the following webpage: www.britishlistedbuildings.co.uk Please note that this is a private house so please be respectful and do not enter the property.
Grundisburgh House Art Gallery - Pop up art gallery - please visit their Facebook Page for details about exhibitions and dates of opening
More information of noteable buildings in the village can be read by following the link: https://www.eastsuffolk.gov.uk/assets/Planning/Design-and-Conservation/Conservation-Area-Reviews/Grundisburgh-inventory.pdf
There are many places in the local area to visit before having lunch or dinner at the pub! Here is a list of places and their webpages. Please double check the opening hours before you visit as many are seasonal or only open on a few dates each year.
Sutton Hoo - Fascinating 6th and 7th century Anglo-Saxon royal burial site. Dog friendly - dogs are to be kept on the lead and are not allowed in the High Hall exhibition or Tramer House. Website: www.nationaltrust.org.uk/sutton-hoo
493rd Debach Airfield Museum - Possibly dog friendly, please check with them before visiting. Website: www.493bgdebach.co.uk/contact-us.php
The Tide Mill Living Museum - Very interesting and iconic building in Woodbridge which still produces flour on a regular basis. Dog friendly. Website: www.woodbridgetidemill.org.uk
Helmingham Hall, Gardens and Tea Rooms - Open May to September, please check their website for specific dates and times. Dogs welcome in the gardens but must be kept on a lead. Website: www.helmingham.com
Otley Hall - Grade one listed Tudor Hall set in ten acres of pretty gardens. Please check their website for times of house and garden tour times. Dog friendly in the gardens. Website: www.otleyhall.co.uk
Baylham House Rare Breeds Farm - Small livestock farm breeding animals that were once common but now very rare. A great place for children but dogs are not permitted on the farm. Website: www.baylham-house-farm.co.uk
Mid Suffolk Light Railway - Steam train rides, standard gauge railway museum with Victorian rolling stock, shop and tea room. Great for children and dog friendly. Website: www.mslr.org.uk
Easton Farm Park - Traditional farm park for all of the family with indoor and outdoor activities. Farm animals, pony rides, nature walks, play area, animal handling and cafe. Dogs are welcome but must be kept on the lead. Website: www.eastonfarmpark.co.uk
Parham Airfield Museum - Situated on an old World War II US Air Force Station. The museum shows how this corner of rural Suffolk was affected by the War. The museum only opens a few days a year so please check their website. Website: www.parhamairfieldmuseum.co.uk
Stonham Barns and Suffolk Owl Sanctuary - Stonham Barns are home to retail outlets, a cafe, indoor and outdoor play areas, adventure golf and other attractions. The Suffolk Owl Sanctuary have bird of prey flying displays and 'meet the meerkat' shows as well as nature walks where you can see red squirrels. Dogs are allowed on the Stonham Barn site but dogs (including guide or assistance dogs) are NOT allowed in the Owl Sanctuary. They do, however, offer partially shaded and secure kennels in full view of the reception staff for the use of visitors' dogs, free of charge.